• Uphall Gala Day Parade, July 1926

    Uphall Gala Day Parade, July 1926

  • Wyndford Avenue, Uphall

    Wyndford Avenue, Uphall

  • Gala Day at Uphall Public School

    Gala Day at Uphall Public School

  • Tram on Main Street, Uphall

    Tram on Main Street, Uphall

  • Millers Bridge, Uphall

    Millers Bridge, Uphall

  • West Main Street, Uphall

    West Main Street, Uphall

  • Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

    Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

  • Officers (NCO's and Men) - No 7 Platoon in Uphall - 1942

    Officers (NCO's and Men) - No 7 Platoon in Uphall - 1942

  • West Main Street, Uphall

    West Main Street, Uphall

  • Burnside Road, Uphall

    Burnside Road, Uphall

  • Uphall Main Street

    Uphall Main Street

  • Middleton Hall, Uphall

    Middleton Hall, Uphall

  • Ecclesmachan Road, Uphall

    Ecclesmachan Road, Uphall

  • The Gates, Main Street, Uphall

    The Gates, Main Street, Uphall

  • Old Mill, Uphall

    Old Mill, Uphall

  • Main Street, Uphall

    Main Street, Uphall

  • Burnside Road, Uphall

    Burnside Road, Uphall

  • Staff of Uphall Public School

    Staff of Uphall Public School

  • St Nicholas Church, Uphall

    St Nicholas Church, Uphall

  • Looking West along Main Street, Uphall

    Looking West along Main Street, Uphall

  • Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

    Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

  • Uphall from Middleton Lodge

    Uphall from Middleton Lodge

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22

St Nicholas Church

St. Nicholas is one of two Churches in the Parish of Strathbrock.  The other Church is St. Machan in the village of Ecclesmachan (to the north of Uphall).  St. Nicholas Church dates from the 12th century and, when originally built, had a tower, a nave and a small chancel.  The chancel was doubled in length during the 13th century.

The Church bell was made in 1503 and has a latin inscription "Honore Sancti Nicholai campana ecclesie de Strabork" which translated means 'In honour of St. Nicholas, bell of the Church of Strabork".

The Shairp family built an aisle to the south of the nave in early 1600's.  The aisle is commonly known as the Houstoun or Shairp aisle and is the final resting place for many for many of the Shairp family.

The Church has memorials to the Shairps of Houstoun and Erskine families.

Communion TokenCommunion TokenThe pictures opposite show a Communion Token dated 1823.  The Minister at the time was John Ferguson who served the church between 1798 and 1824.  He died in 1835 aged 77.  The text on the front is "UPHALL 1823".  The text on the reverse is "I CORIN. XI. 28. 29".



In the 18th century an aisle to the north of the nave was built (known as the Middleton aisle).  However, in 1878 it was replaced with a new aisle (the present north aisle).   The belfry also dates from 1878.

Many members of the Buchan family and the Earls of Buchan are buried in a vault beneath the tower.

A restoration took place in the 1930's - which saw the galleries at both ends of the Church removed, the arch between the nave and tower re-opened, and the Shairp aisle re-opened.

 

Print Email