• Middleton Hall, Uphall

    Middleton Hall, Uphall

  • West Main Street, Uphall

    West Main Street, Uphall

  • Gala Day at Uphall Public School

    Gala Day at Uphall Public School

  • Wyndford Avenue, Uphall

    Wyndford Avenue, Uphall

  • Tram on Main Street, Uphall

    Tram on Main Street, Uphall

  • St Nicholas Church, Uphall

    St Nicholas Church, Uphall

  • Staff of Uphall Public School

    Staff of Uphall Public School

  • Uphall from Middleton Lodge

    Uphall from Middleton Lodge

  • Burnside Road, Uphall

    Burnside Road, Uphall

  • Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

    Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

  • West Main Street, Uphall

    West Main Street, Uphall

  • Ecclesmachan Road, Uphall

    Ecclesmachan Road, Uphall

  • Officers (NCO's and Men) - No 7 Platoon in Uphall - 1942

    Officers (NCO's and Men) - No 7 Platoon in Uphall - 1942

  • Old Mill, Uphall

    Old Mill, Uphall

  • Burnside Road, Uphall

    Burnside Road, Uphall

  • Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

    Looking East along Main Street, Uphall

  • Uphall Main Street

    Uphall Main Street

  • Looking West along Main Street, Uphall

    Looking West along Main Street, Uphall

  • The Gates, Main Street, Uphall

    The Gates, Main Street, Uphall

  • Main Street, Uphall

    Main Street, Uphall

  • Uphall Gala Day Parade, July 1926

    Uphall Gala Day Parade, July 1926

  • Millers Bridge, Uphall

    Millers Bridge, Uphall

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22

Older Buildings

The aim of this section is to give you some brief information about a few of Uphall's older buildings.  If you wish to know more, I advise that you read A Walk Round Old Uphall by Mr and Mrs Cavanagh.  This excellent publication was written in 1997 and, at the time, helped in raising funds for Strathbrock Parish Church.  It should be available to read at the local library.

Muir's Buildings

Muir's Buildings were built in 1890 by Sir John Pender (he was a liberal democrat MP).   His initials are carved into the stonework of the upper story.  The buildings take their name from their next owner, James Muir.  By the 1980's, the buildings had fallen into a state of disrepair and had to be renovated.  Now a mix of housing and shops occupy them.

Oatridge Hotel

The Oatridge Hotel was formerly known as the Uphall Inn.  It was a coaching inn that served the travellers on the turnpike road between Edinburgh and Glasgow.  The turnpike road was opened in the late 1790's and the inn was built soon after (in the early 1800's).  

Tammy Johnston's

Shortly after the end of the First World War, Tammy Johnston obtained an old army hut from Bangour General Hospital.  His first shop, in the hut, was across the road (on the main street) from the car showroom at St. Andrews Drive.  He serviced bikes and gramophones.  He moved to new premises, across the street, in 1928.  The family run business unfortunately ceased trading in early 2003.

Uphall Model Lodging House

This building still stands, but under a new name!  It is now the church hall for Strathbrock Parish Church.  The Uphall Model was built in 1902/1903 and served its purpose, as a house for poor working men, women, families and vagrants, until it closed in 1948.  For a while after, it was used by Hunter and Foulis as a book bindery.  It has been a church hall since the mid 1970's.  It is the only Model House in West Lothian which has survived in its original form.

Print Email